Friday 4 January 2013

Goodbye 2012!!! Welcome 2013!!!


Reflecting on the year gone by.

This is tough. It’s the eve of the New Year and I want to write something about it. I've been staring at this blank document for 30 minutes now and have typed and deleted at least 6 paragraphs. I have walked back and forth to the toilet 3 times (it’s about the only place I can smoke in the house and also there’s something about a toilet seat which makes it a great place for contemplation). And so far, I just can’t seem to put my thoughts in a coherent form to write them down. But I’m going to try anyway.

Around about this time of the year, I always find myself contemplating the events over the past 12 months, reflecting on the good times and bad times, trying to decide if the year that is about to leave, was a good year or a bad one. The conclusion that I have come up with is that it was a wonderful 2012.

I have to say that I wasn't really expecting much from 2012. I had no job and spent most of my time at home. My biggest worry was that I would get bored and depressed since I didn't have much to occupy my time with. I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2011 and my cholesterol level was border line. So on top of not having much to do, I had health issues to contend with.

But during the year, things started to pick up. My professional life remained in the gutter, but I was expecting that. I figured as long as I stayed in the Netherlands, it would be very difficult for me to find a job, so I wasn't expecting much improvement there. But everything else started to fall in place.

I started to become active again towards the end of 2011. I started going to the gym, played badminton, and I went running and cycling on a regular basis. All this continued throughout 2012 (except for the last month or so as I was advised to stop playing sports for a while because of a hip problem). These activities not only improved my fitness levels, but they also helped increase my overall health. My blood sugar level is still high but it has been constantly reducing throughout the year. My cholesterol level is still border line, but I see light at the end of the tunnel.

Besides that, I've also managed to travel a bit this year. I went back to Malaysia 3 times, and spent some time in Norway, Italy, Portugal and the UK.

Western Norway was breathtaking. We spent a couple of days hiking around Maloy and the hills surrounding it. And then we spent another day driving into the mountains, looking at the wondrous nature of glaziers and also taking in the beautiful scenery of the fjords.

In Italy, we enjoyed the scenery around San Gimignano and the Tuscan countryside. We also learned a bit about the history of Lucca and Sienna but one of the highlights of the trip and the whole year was driving a Ferrari California around the countryside surrounding Maranello in Italy.

Unlike the other places, Portugal was a relaxing holiday. We stayed in the beautiful town of Cascais, 30 minutes away from the hustle and bustle of Lisbon and just soaked up the sun at the hotel swimming pool.

In the UK we went to catch a live game at Anfield, the home of Liverpool FC (my favorite football club). We also spent a couple of days just driving around the countryside in Oxfordshire and Wiltshire, taking in the beautiful scenery and enjoying the offerings of the small quaint towns such as Stow-on-the-Wold, Chipping Campden and Bradford-upon-Avon, along the way.

But if I have to say, the happiest moment of 2012 to me, would be looking at the joy in my wife’s eyes when I gave her the birthday present I got her.

(That first part was written on New Year’s Eve. The next part was written a few days after the New Year)

I have never made a New Year’s Resolution. Every year, on the eve of the New Year, I reflect on the events of the previous year, without making any resolutions for the New Year. I’ve always believed that whatever resolution that I make at the eve of a New Year will be forgotten within a couple of weeks, a month at the most. So I've never made any.

But this year, I've decided to make a New Year’s Resolution. I guess this change in heart has been brought about because I feel like there is so much more that I can achieve when I put my mind to it. So here are my New Year’s Eve Resolutions:

  1. I’d like to learn some new things.
    1. I bought an acoustic guitar a couple of years ago and took some lessons. That was before I moved to the Netherlands. When I moved here, I stopped completely. Last year, I started to take guitar lessons online and I think I am making some progress. So my first resolution is to learn how to play the guitar properly.
    2. Apart from that, I’d like to learn how to ski. It won’t really be a useful thing to know back in Malaysia but I would like to go on a skiing holiday and I would like to know how to ski before I go on that holiday.
    3. I would also like to learn how to make coffee. I've been looking at learning this for a year or so. I have been looking at a course in London and hopefully this year I’ll be able to take that course.
    4. I would also like to learn other things but I haven’t really decided on anything else yet. More on this later.
  2. I’d like to experiment more with my cooking. I have my normal repertoire which I think I've more or less perfected according to my tastes. But nowadays I feel like I should expand my horizons and try different things as well. I've already started with a birthday dinner for my lovely wife and it turned out quite well. The starter was Mussels cooked in tomatoes, while the main meal was a Lemon Baked Turkey, Roast Pumpkin and Parsnip, a simple salad and for dessert, I served a Banoffee Pie.
  3. I also want to increase my fitness levels. I want to keep on playing squash, badminton and tennis. I also want to start cycling and running again. I've got a rowing machine now and that will help with my fitness levels.
The full spread
Top (right to left): Roasted Grated Pumpkin and Parsnip, Salad with Pomegrenate
Bottom (right to left): Mussels in Tomatoes and Banoffe Pie

That’s all my New Year’s Resolutions. I might decide to add to that list later on in the year but then they won’t be New Year’s Resolutions any more. I’ll keep you posted on my progress. 

1 comment:

  1. And may 2013 bring continued happiness and better health!!! We miss your cooking. Zulfa

    ReplyDelete