Thursday 7 February 2013

Good to be back


Yeehaaa!!!!! I’m back in Malaysia.

OK! I've been back 2 weeks now. Feels great to be back. There’s so many things to do and I've more or less spent the last two weeks running all around KL, PJ and other parts of the Klang Valley running errands and catching up with friends.

After much deliberation with my wife, we've decided to postpone our return trip to the Netherlands. Instead of returning on the 24th of February, we've delayed it for another 2 weeks and decided that we will return on the 9th of March (It wasn't really our choice as we couldn't get earlier tickets back). So, there will be a lot more eating to do.

In keeping with the theme of this blog, I've decided to write about my nasi lemak experiences during this trip first. I’ll write about some of the other food another time (and there will be lots of it).

Each nasi lemak portion is enough for a complete meal
The first nasi lemak I had was one of my all-time favorites. It’s one of those that are wrapped in banana leaves, consisting of your basic nasi lemak with the sambal, the dried anchovies, eggs and cucumber. One wrapped nasi lemak is enough for one meal although on almost every occasion, I’ll have 2 portions for breakfast (The only times I don’t have 2 portions is when I have 3).

This nasi lemak has been one of my favorites since the year 2000. It is sold by this lovely kakak (sister) by the roadside in Bandar Seri Damansara, Kuala Lumpur. She sells nasi lemak and fried mee hoon (which she makes herself) and also some malay kueh such as karipap, kuih ketayap, kuih keria and seri muka. Her stall is usually open by around 7.00 am as she tries to catch the early crowd heading out to work.

My wife buying the nasi lemak from the kakak
On a weekday, things are normally quite slow and she doesn’t make and sell a lot of nasi lemak. You can still get nasi lemak from her around 10.00 am on a weekday. But on a weekend, you have to be early if you want a taste of her nasi lemak. In fact you’ll be lucky to get any by 9.00 am.

I love this kakak’s nasi lemak because of her sambal. The sambal is superb. It’s just a plain sambal without any anchovies in it, but the taste is wonderful. It’s a bit on the hot side but it is beautifully balanced with sweetness. Her rice is a bit inconsistent, sometimes a bit too mushy and sometimes perfectly cooked. But the deliciousness of her sambal makes up for any imperfections in her rice.

For anyone who would like to give this kakak’s nasi lemak a try, her stall is located at Persiaran Margosa in Bandar Seri Damansara, Kuala Lumpur. It’s not too difficult to find as her stall is the only one along that road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment