Tuesday 2 October 2012

Devouring Nasi Lemak in Den Haag


Since I moved to the Netherlands, I haven’t been able to eat my favorite meal on a regular basis. I can’t just pop out to a stall and grab a stomach full of bliss like I can in Kuala Lumpur. So, if I do have a craving for nasi lemak, I have to cook it myself.

Cooking nasi lemak here isn’t really a problem. I can get most of the ingredients at the Chinese supermarket in the city center. However, I’m not fond at all of the dried anchovies they sell. They import the stuff from Thailand and somehow, it doesn’t fry very well. You don’t get the same crunchiness as you do with Malaysian dried anchovies after frying.

Because of this, I have to get my dried anchovies from Malaysia every time I go back home. Sometimes, as most of my friends here know about my obsession with the good stuff, they will buy some dried anchovies for me when they make a trip back home. After being here for 18 months, I have yet to run short of dried anchovies.

Besides my own home cooked version, I have had nasi lemak cooked by other fellow Malaysians as well. So far, I have tasted 4 different varieties (2 were cooked by the same person but in different quantities thus ended up tasting different). I think I’ll talk about all these different versions in future posts (if not, this will end up to be a very long post). As for now, talking about food has made me hungry so I think I’ll go and have some nasi dagang which was leftover from the weekend.

P.s. I didn’t cook the nasi dagang. I have no idea how to cook it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment