Wednesday 3 October 2012

My Nasi Lemak in Den Haag


Since cooking my first nasi lemak back in my university days, I have perfected my nasi lemak to my own taste. Over the years, even though I haven't done it very often, I’ve cooked nasi lemak for friends (in university) and family (maybe a couple of times as I also love my mom’s nasi lemak). I have more or less perfected my technique and the ingredients that I use. I can now rustle up a delicious mouthwatering meal in 45 minutes.

When I first arrived in Den Haag, I didn’t know that many people here. My circle of friends consisted of my lovely wife and a couple of her friends who I met before on previous trips. So I had to make new friends. I decided I should try and extend the hand of friendship to the Malaysian community first as we probably had more things in common. I just had to figure out how to go about doing that.

One of the generalizations that I can make about Malaysians is that they will never say no to food. Under most circumstances, when you invite a Malaysian over to your house for any kind of food, you will get a positive response. Of course there are those who would decline because they can’t squirm their way out of a previous engagement, but if you ever invite a Malaysian to your house for a meal, be prepared to receive a “Yes” answer and in most cases, prepare a lot of food. We Malaysians, can really eat!

Based on this, I decided the best way to make friends here, especially among the Malaysian community is to invite them over for a meal of my nasi lemak. We decided on a small group, just five of us including my wife and I. It had been a while since I cooked anything (privileges of living with your mom for a few years). So I didn’t want to invite a large group just in case my nasi lemak didn’t turn out as I expected. These were to be my guinea pigs. 

Needless to say, my nasi lemak was a hit. I’ve cooked it a few times since and everyone in Den Haag who has had a plate would always have seconds. Nowadays, whenever I decide to have nasi lemak party, guests rarely decline whenever they receive an invite.

 P.s. Big thank you to the guinea pigs, my wife Zaiton Abdullah, and friends Samantha Lee, Zulfa Ashida Zulkifle, Johan Mokhtar and Azrina Kamaruddin

No comments:

Post a Comment