Thursday 1 November 2012

Expressing displeasure

I am not a happy bunny. I am so disappointed that I have to write this post now on my 4 inch android smart phone screen rather than wait till I get home and type it nicely on my 15 inch screen notebook.

This is what happened. I haven't been sleeping very well since I got to Malaysia. I had a couple of hours sleep the first night I arrived, and since then, about 4 to 5 hours a night. This morning, my body.decided to retaliate. By the time I woke up, it was already 10.00 am (all my plans to go out for an early morning run went out the window by then).

In school, my teachers always told me that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. So I always treat the first meal of the day as breakfast, no matter what time of the day it is. Following that, at breakfast, I must have a breakfast meal. So a juicy piece of steak is not an acceptable breakfast meal. Neither is nasi kandar or tomyam. Unpleasant things might happen if I don't follow the proper protocol (however, a breakfast meal can be eaten for dinner as my tummy loves breakfast meals).

Since breakfast had already shifted into brunch's area, I had to get breakfast pretty quick. I decided that a roti canai at Raju's would go down very well, so I jumped into my car and started to make my way there.
Now, anyone who has spent at least 2 weeks in Kuala Lumpur will know that you do not take the Federal Highway from Subang to KL during peak hours. But since it was already 11.00, I thought it would be.pretty safe, I was wrong. It looked almost like a carpark (don't these people have jobs they should be at).

Since breakfast was perilously close to trespassing into lunch's territory, I had to take drastic action. A light bulb went off in my head and when I saw the junction to the LDP. I realized I was close to one of my favourite places for nasi dagang and laksam (both of these are perfectly acceptable breakfast meals).

Restoran Jaya in Kelana Jaya, Petaling Jaya, specializes in Kelantanese dishes. It serves a variety of meals but I particularly love their nasi dagang and laksam. Sometimes on weekends, they will also have pulut lepa (or pulut panggang to those who do not understand Terengganu speak). Since I was in the neighbourhood, I thought I'd drop by for some nasi dagang.

Restoran Jaya in Kelana Jaya
When I got to the restaurant, I immediately went to check out their food counter. They had run out of laksam, but they still had some nasi dagang left. Wonderful. I ordered a plate and took a seat, while the waitress started to spoon out the rice onto a plate. As I was sitting down, the girl came up to me and told me that they were out of fish. All they had left was chicken.

No Terengganu born person will eat their nasi dagang with chicken. We Terengganu born and bred will only eat our nasi dagang with fish. I was disappointed, and to express my disappointment, I told the girl to forget about serving me nasi dagang with chicken.

Since I was already in lunch territory, and my tummy was already expressing its unhappiness at not being filled, I decided to order a nasi lemak. I've never had nasi lemak at Restaurant Jaya but I do know some people who like it.

It wasn't bad actually. The sambal was a bit too hot and it didn't have enough anchovies. The rice wasn't as creamy as the rice that I usually cook, but overall, it was pretty tasty. It wasn't outstanding but still a thumbs up to them.

The nasi lemak
My tummy doesn't like it when I change my mind about what I want to eat. Once I make my decision on what to eat, I have to stick with it (better I don't decide on anything until I look at the menu). It tolerates it when I change my mind once, but it gets very unhappy when I change my mind twice. And it expressed it's disappointment 30 minutes ago. I just about made it to the toilet.

P.s. I don't know the address of Restaurant Jaya but I can describe how to get there or better yet, I can take you there. All I want is a plate of nasi dagang in return. For a description of the directions or to arrange an excursion, please leave a comment with contact info and proposed date of excursion so we can meet there or we can go together so I can collect on my payment.


No comments:

Post a Comment