Thursday 29 November 2012

UK Trip (Part 2)


Before I continue on to Part 2 of my UK Trip, let me first apologize to Teddy and all my readers. I got the name of Teddy’s bistro slightly wrong in Part 1. It’s actually called the “Malay Cuisine and Bistro”. I only realized this last night when I visited their Facebook page to get some details of the bistro. A big APOLOGY for that mistake.

Moving on, after we finished our meal at the bistro, my wife and I headed to Liverpool. I was planning on catching a football game between my favorite team, Liverpool FC, and BSC Young Boys from Switzerland. Surprisingly, for someone who wasn't keen on watching a football game, my wife was more excited than me throughout the game. She made more commentaries about how the game was going on and about our defending. We should watch more games together (but maybe we should wait until it gets warmer).

The teams lining up at Anfield. Unfortunately we were on the opposite side
Overall, the game was an exciting one, but the end result wasn't good for us. The game ended in a 2 – 2 draw, and I have to say, we were very bad at defending. We took the lead twice and due to our lapse in defense, they equalized twice.

The next morning, we had planned to drive all the way down to Bath. I went to the University of Bath and had planned a visit to some of my old hunting grounds. The main purpose of going there was to go to Sally Lunn’s House and Cross Guns (more on those 2 later).

Somehow, after a shower and packing all our stuff, our plans changed. I remembered the menu board at Teddy’s place and started to wish that I had tried the nasi lemak. I suggested we drop by at Teddy’s place on the way south and my wife was quite enthusiastic about the idea. So once again, we took a detour (again, nowhere near the route we were supposed to take to Bath) and headed off to Stalybridge (and again, the thought of eating nasi lemak made me drool all the way).

Teddy's nasi lemak
The nasi lemak was absolutely delicious. The rice was less creamier compared to mine, which I suppose was due to it being cooked in a lot less coconut milk, but had cardamoms and cloves in it. These spices were a perfect substitute for the coconut milk as they also gave the rice richness without the heaviness of the coconut milk. The anchovies came on the side and not in the sambal, but the sambal was full of chopped onions (I usually blend my onions and put some of the dried anchovies in my sambal) and these chopped onions gave the sambal its sweetness. All in all, the nasi lemak was superb and because it didn't use as much coconut milk, you don’t get the feeling of wanting to doze off after (which was good since I was going to spend 2 hours driving on a boring motorway).

The nasi lemak also came with some chicken satay. When it comes to satay, I'm a bit of a stickler. My dad used to sell the best satay at night markets in Kemaman, Terengganu. We used to make our own satay and the peanut sauce that accompanies the satay. Every year, during the Eid celebration, we used to get huge orders for satay (in one year, the orders exceeded 80,000 sticks of satay). So my dad's satay was very popular in Kemaman (in fact, if you happen to visit Kemaman and there is a night market, you might still find a stall there which uses my dad's recipe. Look out for Satay Bistari and I can guarantee you that you will enjoy the satay).

Teddy's satay, although not as delicious as my dad's, had the right ingredients. The chicken was tender and moist while the peanut sauce was hot and creamy. Shame there was only 3 sticks of it. I enjoyed the satay although I do miss my dad's satay (Maybe on my next trip back to Malaysia I'll take a short day trip up to Kemaman).

Back to my story. We had to change our plans and not head to Bath that day. The extra 2 and a half hour detour (including the time it took for us to finish our meal) created havoc to our plans but it was well worth it. We ended up heading into the countryside around the Cotswold area to places like Chipping Campden, Stow on the Wold and Burford and went shopping instead (which was our plan for the third day). We spent the night in a very nice hotel at Highworth which is half an hour outside of Swindon. A bit of chaos to our holiday plans, but still a good meal and a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment